Simple Crock Pot Recipe is Ideal for Low Fat, Low Sodium Diets
This chicken stew dish is not only delicious and simple to make, it’s also packed with heart healthy vegetables. It’s perfect for folks on a low fat, low sodium diet.
There are at least four ways to make this recipe for Chicken Stew in a cock pot – the regular way, the low fat, low sodium diet way, the chop up your own vegetables way and the really easy way. No matter what decision you make, this slow cooker meal is yummy; especially for folks who have to watch their sodium and fat intake as well as their cholesterol levels.
Skinless chicken breast in general is low fat, low in sodium and healthy for your heart. This recipe also includes your choice of healthy vegetables like carrots and green beans.
As for the other ingredients, you can substitute the foods with reduced calorie, low sodium products. All you have to do is check the nutritional information on the packages to choose what’s best for you and your loved ones.
By the way, this dish serves at least 6 to 8 people. The ingredients can be placed in the slow cooker the night before you wish to cook and serve it.
Easy Slow-Cooker Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or reduced sodium substitute (or no salt at all)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (water or a a reduced sodium variety of broth can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove minced garlic (it can be bought in a jar already minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 carrots, sliced (or drain a 15 ounce can of sodium-free sliced carrots)
- 3 potatoes, diced (or drain two 15 ounce cans of sodium-free sliced potatoes)
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms (or drain a 15 ounce can of sodium-free sliced mushrooms)
- 15 ounce can of sodium-free cut green beans, drained
- 8 ounce can of sodium-free corn kernels, drained
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (optional)
Feel free to substitute or add other vegetables like chopped onions or sliced celery. You can also turn this dish into beef stew by using 2 pounds of beef chunk or stew meet, cut into 1 inch cubes. Instead of chicken broth, beef broth would be used.
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over chicken
- Stir to coat chicken with flour mixture
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the corn starch
- Stir all ingredients and mix well
- Cover and cook in crock pot on low 10 to 12 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours
- During the last hour of cooking, mix corn starch with a bit of water and mix it into the stew to thicken the juices if you wish
- Stir stew thoroughly before serving
This meal goes well with a fresh healthy salad with your choice of dressing. If you drink alcohol, white wine is an ideal choice to accompany this dish. Crescent rolls, especially the low fat varieties, are also delicious with this meal.
Cap off the dinner with fruit or another low calorie desert.