If You’re on a Low Fat Low Sodium Diet, This Healthy Meal Is Ideal.
There are two ways to make this recipe for Chicken Divan – the regular way and the low fat, low sodium diet way. No matter what decision you make, this dish is delicious; especially for those who have to watch their sodium and fat intake as well as their cholesterol levels.
Skinless chicken breast in general is low fat, low in sodium and healthy for your heart. This recipe also includes your choice of healthy broccoli or asparagus.
As for the other ingredients, you can substitute the foods with reduced calorie, low sodium products. All you have to do is check the nutritional information on the packages to choose what’s best for you and your loved ones.
By the way, this dish serves 6 to 8 people and can be made ahead of time.
- 2 – 2 ½ pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Two 10 ounce packages of frozen chopped broccoli or asparagus
- 3 cups of uncooked white rice (brown rice is much more nutritious and can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (you can substitute a low fat, low sodium mayonnaise)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (many brands offer reduced fat and sodium choices)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (you can substitute a healthier variety of sour cream)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (you can use the broth made when you boil the chicken)
- paprika to taste
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (reduced fat products are available)
- Boil chicken for 30 minutes and save broth
- When done, cut chicken into bite size pieces, set aside
- Partially cook rice so that it’s not quite done
- Thaw broccoli or asparagus packages in microwave, drain liquid
- In large bowl, mix lemon juice, mayonnaise, soup, sour cream, chicken broth and paprika until the sauce is a pink color
- In a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish, pour rice
- Pour some of the reserved chicken broth over the rice
- Layer chicken and vegetables over rice
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and paprika on top of mixture (if you like extra parmesan cheese and paprika, feel free to sprinkle more on top)
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
This meal goes well with a nice healthy salad with your choice of dressing. If you drink alcohol, white wine is an ideal choice to accompany this dish. Crescent rolls, including the low fat varieties, are also delicious with this meal.
Cap off the dinner with fruit or another low calorie desert.